I was just curious how does starcheat for 1.0 work I have it downloaded just can't figure it out
Reason(want to skip througn the story to join the community
The Easy Way
^ Then once downloaded; you may run starcheat. It requires more fiddling if you want to load mods. However, you can edit modded race characters and still keep their original look and modded items safe; so long as you don't click the change look button or anything that will alter your characters appearance such as changing your race; if you don't have the mods loaded in starcheat that is. Part of "The Hard Way" tells you how to unpack your starbound assets into "C:\packedassets" and you may find that useful if you wish to starcheat in modded items and edit their JSON (Java Script Object Notation) without any real problems.
However, if you're looking for just skipping the quest missions there is a steam guide to help.
An example of how you spawn these items in; is to go into singleplayer with /admin <- activating admin powers in-game for singleplayer. Then you would type /spawnitem championspeardisplay 1
Purely as an example. Using this example as a base for all the other items in that guide you can skip the scanning parts of the main quest. Or alternatively just go to your quest menu and hide the tracker so you don't have to see it. Also, another good idea would be to press ESC > go to options and turn off tutorial messages.
Don't forget to type /admin again to turn off admin in singleplayer afterwards! Or else you'll be invincible in singleplayer.
The Hard Way
You can unpack your assets with asset_unpacker.exe in your Starbound/win32 folder and target the file with something like in Command prompt. Windows + R then type in cmd and press ok then do. CD "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32" and press enter then type in asset_unpacker.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak" "C:\packedassets" <- This will create a folder directly in your C drive called packedassets with the assets in there. Then you can search for items and such to spawn in using /spawnitem and the itemID. You can open the relevant item files with notepad++ or similar.
In order to paste in CMD (command prompt) you right click the interface/console and press paste as Ctrl + V does not paste into CMD.
The Extra Hard Way + Requires "The Hard Way" to work.
Please note: [userid] <- must not include brackets.
Again use CMD and do CD "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32" and press enter. Then do the following command. dump_versioned_json.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\storage\player\[userid].player "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\storage\player\[userid].json"
Then you may edit your json player file with notepad++ or similar.
You may turn your json player file back into a binary .player file by doing the following.
Again using CMD and CD "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32" and then press enter. Then do this command. make_versioned_json.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\storage\player\[userid].json" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\storage\player\[userid].player"
Make sure you delete your .player file before using make_versioned_json.exe in order to force your json file into a player file.
Congratulations you've done it.
Hello Roxxzilla; yeah, it turns out it isn't just as simple as one might think it was in order to in-corporate nearly all the different ways you can edit your character. That was just merely pointing out there is more than starcheat out there; but that starcheat is still available in SB 1.0; and where to find starcheat as it's not on their main website. This is because starcheat for SB 1.0 is still a dev build.
Honestly, with the server parties, you can jump in and join us at any time. My character will always be more than happy to run missions or mine shinies with you. I'll be around on monday.
That steam guide is probably the the best way to skip the first few missions. Starcheat is a littpe limited in what it can do, and 90% of what it can do can be done better with /admin. The other 10% is a lot more work due to steam and modded races.